What If We Put More Strength Into Loving As We Do Into Fighting?


This happens to be one of my favorite quotes from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I absolutely love quotes because sometimes they say they words that I couldn't think of myself. In the title of the post, the word "fighting" is included. I want to first explain what I mean by fighting. When I say fighting, it does not just mean physical, it could be as simple as arguing. After all an argument usually comes before a fight, but a disagreement usually comes before an argument.

 I find that most times people find it hard to distinguish the words disagreement and argument. Just because you disagree with someone does not mean that you are arguing or even that you have to argue. Over the past two months, I started thinking about how different things would be if we just accepted each other for who we are. We have started to become a society where people cannot have an opinion without someone saying something negative about it (thank God for blogs right?) lol.

I started to wonder why is so hard to not only accept others for who they are, but better yet why is it so hard to agree to disagree? It takes so much energy to argue, debate, and fight than it does to love and humble ourselves. So many times we tear each other up down with words or simply because we have different viewpoints. Often times we try to make people feel bad for having a different view point.

With every platform that God has given me to utilize, including this blog, I try to respect everybody's opinion and to let everybody have a voice. Sometimes I even try to be the voice of the hurting people, even my name Nicole means "victory of the people". There are so  many people hurting and searching for their voice, they have allowed their voice to be taken away because of what others had to say. Today find your voice, writing/blogging is a great way to do that.

As Martin Luther King Jr. said "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." This quote has so much meaning. When I think about light vs. darkness I think about how God has called us to be the light because if we are being like everybody else we cannot shine our light. Some of our lights our dim, its time to light them up. I hope that you can feel my love and hope from reading this post and that it causes you to light up.

Lets agree to learn to accept others for who they are and agree to disagree. We can disagree in a loving manner. It is OK to have different viewpoints, that's what makes the world. If we were all the same, there would be no point for us to be living on this earth. Each and every one of us is unique and we all have something special to offer. We all have a special place on this earth.

I pray that you all have a blessed Sunday,

Nicole Lofton

Comments

  1. What a great post! I agree about putting as much effort into loving as fighting. What a dramatic change we would see in our homes and the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie, I appreciate you reading and commenting! I love all your posts.

      Delete
    2. Your most definitely welcome! Thank you for such a sweet compliment!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree -- Sometimes it is not easy to agree to disagree, right? Thank you for a good post and I will be following you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carol,

    You are definitely right sometimes it is not easy to agree to disagree. Thank you for reading, commenting, and following. I will definitely follow you back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A PRAYER FOR VICTIMS, SURVIVORS, AND ANYONE THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTED BY DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Domestic Violence and Alcohol (Guest Post)

When People Don't Believe You