Words Can Do More Than Hurt, They Can Damage

"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me" How many of you remember quoting this? I remember as a little kids learning this phrase from someone at school and then chanting it myself. How soon, do we find that this is absolutely far from the truth?

In fact, words could possibly do more damage than a stick could depending on the situation. I think how many times I have been or heard stories about people who have been scarred from some words that were said to them. Even sometimes, we hurt people with out words. I think about how many people especially when it comes to relationships have been told something disrespectful and believed it. Sometimes they believe to the point that they becomes someone else or they shut down. Being told that you are ugly, fat, too skinny, stupid, dumb, or even worst than that you really damage someone. While some people can quickly overcome hearing things like this, it takes others a long time.

If you pay attention to anyway that tells a story, you will mostly always hear them talk about the words that someone said to them, whether the words were positive or negative, it shows you that people pay a great deal of attention to what is being said to them. Why do we do that? Well, I believe it is done because it helps us pay attention to a persons actions, are there words matching their actions and vice versa. Most of the time, these hurtful words come from people that we care about and that is what makes the words damaging.

We really should be careful with out words, we never know who they can hurt and what kind of reaction they can cause in a person. I saw this picture that I will post below that really sums up everything that I have wrote here and I absolutely think it is so true.

Beatrice the Biologist is right, words do infect the mind and if you take a look back at how many times you have been affected by what someone said to you, you will see how true it is. Even in the Bible it says that "words have the power of life and death"(Proverbs 18:21). Let us choose to be careful with our words, let us give life to someone with out words even if they are doing otherwise to us. I am definitely going to work harder on this. Thank you for reading!

Comments

  1. please take a look at my page and help me get some views to my link i am trying to get out of a situation like this i am not sure where to start i just know i can't put on my facebook because my husband would see it thank you. sorry if this is not a good place to link. http://www.gofundme.com/a2h110

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy is it possible for you to email me at nicolelofton@?facingittoday.org

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A PRAYER FOR VICTIMS, SURVIVORS, AND ANYONE THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTED BY DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Domestic Violence and Alcohol (Guest Post)

When People Don't Believe You