Domestic Violence and The Coronavirus

Photo by Alex Iby on Unsplash
I have been contemplating writing this post because I know what I am going to discuss is serious and sensitive on many different levels. Not only is domestic violence in itself a serious topic, but the topic of the Coronavirus is a serious one at that. Both of these topics are sensitive in a sense that there are many different views and opinions on them. They also can bring about many different emotions for some people.

However, before I get started, I need to have a transparent moment with my readers. It has definitely been a while since I have written a post on this blog. It was not because I gave up on raising awareness on domestic violence, it was just solely due to the trials of life. In may of 2019, I developed a health issue that affected my hands. Because of that, I couldn't really type or write as much I was use to doing. I also had personal issues that overwhelming just affected me to the point where I was just in a different space. I am better now though.  I believe it's important to be transparent with people who support me because without you all this blog wouldn't be what it is now.

So now let's get back to the topic(s) at hand. For the past three days, as I scrolled through my Facebook memories, I was seeing past post that I had written about domestic violence. Those post contained different statistics as it pertains to domestic violence. I am really not a statistics person, but sometimes they help when trying to paint a bigger picture. However, in the midst of those three days, I truly believe God was speaking to me. I started thinking about what is going on in the world as far as the cororavirus goes and then I started thinking about the significant impact that this virus could have on survivors and victims of domestic violence.

We are seeing everyday countries and even states within counties go on lock down or as some prefer to say give "stay at home" orders. This means that at this time many of us aside from going to work, the grocery store, the gas station, or the hospital, we should stay home in order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus aka COVID-19. Many of us understand the seriousness of abiding by this order, although it does present a challenge to us on different levels.

But what happens when you are someone who is currently experiencing domestic violence and you have to stay at home? This presents serious issues. People who in abusive situations are already being controlled, being physically and/or emotionally abused, and possibly experiencing financial abuse. The opportunity to go get out the house and go to work or anywhere for that matter could be the only freedom that man or woman has and for some that is even being taken away. Some have lost their jobs and some have to work from home.

Let's think of the challenge of working from home in an abusive relationship especially if their partner is also at home. The person who is being abused may not even actually be able to work due to their partners abuse. This could possibly result in the victim losing his or her job. The abuser may exercise his or her power and control by saying their partner has to wait until he or she finishes work before they can start work. Imagine being in a house all day with someone who you are afraid of us, someone who torments you, and you literally have no where to turn. This is what real life is like for some people right now. Not only do they have to try to protect themselves from a virus but they have to try to protect themselves from their partner.

What if kids are involved? Imagine what the scene at home would be like for them? Seeing their parents arguing and fighting also affects them and then the kids may be being abused physically and/or emotionally to. Yet, during this time, there is no outlet. You cannot visit with friends and family, some people cannot go to work. Abusers will sometimes even control who you talk to on the phone so that there is no reaching out to family/friends or attempting to call the police.

So what can be done during this time? I for one am going to pray and of course, I am going to write out the prayer on this post so that you all can read it and possibly share it with someone. I am praying for EVERYONE during this time, but definitely for those are victims of domestic violence. I am even praying for survivors because even during a time like this it cause you to remember certain things and some survivors are still healing. This is not a easy time for any of us, but we will get through it.

I will also suggest visiting the  National Domestic Violence Hotline website, they have a lot of information for survivors and victims of domestic violence during COVID-19. You can also log in to their website and request help. There is also a chat button on their website. If you have access to a phone, their phone number is 1-800-799-7233 or you can text LOVEIS to 22522.

Feel free to check out 3 of my previous post that may be helpful during this time:
1. A Prayer for victims, survivors, and anyone that has been affected by domestic violence
2. Understanding the cycle of your abuser: The key to escaping
3. Domesticshelters.org A Website That Is Making A Difference!

How I can be reached?

Nicole Lofton
Email: Info@purposewhispers.com
website: www.purposewhispers.com

Please see prayer below

Father God,

I just want to take this time to say thank you for all that you have done for me and everyone reading this. I also ask lord that you forgive us for our sins, wash them away, and make us whole. I ask that during this time Lord that you provide us with strength because we need it. I also know Lord that you said that your strength is made perfect in our weakness and lord many of us are weak. Many of us are anxious and scared. Many of us are worried and tired. Some are even tired of being in the house Lord.

Give us strength to make it through these days, give us strength to take care of ourselves and our families. Watch over our children during this time Lord. School is an outlet for some of them and also some were supposed to graduate and go on prom this year and they may not get that chance. We know that these are important milestones to be able to walk across the stage with a cap and gown and receive your diploma. We know its a milestone to be able to go to prom so ease their worries Lord. Comfort them and their parents. While school is an outlet, home is also an outlet for some children. a We know like adults, some children do not speak on what they experience. Please speak to the hearts of parents and continue to guide them and give them wisdom during this time.

Lord I ask that you send your angels to surround all of us and protect us from the coronavirus. I ask that send your angels into all our homes especially those in abusive or even unhealthy situations. I ask that you cease the arguments, that you cease the emotional, physically, financially, and even spiritual abuse. I ask that you give those that need it a way to freedom away from their abusers. Give them strength, give them courage, give them wisdom, let them know that they are not alone. Show them the way that they can't see and make it plain for them Lord. Let this be the last time that them and their children suffer from any kind of abuse.

 I ask Lord that you provide those with shelter who need it, provides those with food who need it, provide those with doctors who need it, provide those who clothes and shoes who need it, provide those with counseling who need it Lord. Lord you said in your word, that there is a way that seems right to us but you Lord direct our paths. So I ask today Lord that during this time if we are stumbled or went down the wrong path, that you come and direct us to the right one. I ask Lord that you reveal what you want us to do during this time and let us not hesitate to do it. I pray for the safety of everyone reading this and I ask all of these things in Jesus name, Amen.

Comments

  1. In our Indian society, domestic violence against women is not a surprising siting. As almost every third women face this thing in her life, and most of them get so habitual to it that they do not even prefer reporting it. Hence, it cannot be denied that many women continue to face domestic violence even after stringent laws and regulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to share these informative information with us. It was such a good and well written article that you provided to us. Have a great rest of your day and keep up these wonderful posts.
    Separation Lawyer in Melbourne
    Applying for Separation Melbourne
    Best Divorce Lawyers Melbourne
    Melbourne Divorce Lawyers
    Same Sex Divorce Australia
    Same-Sex Marriage and Divorce in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Rise of Domestic Violence is linked with this pandemic and lockdown due to this COVID. Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If your relationship is not the biggest source of happiness and joy in your life, If you are not getting the love, devotion and adoration that you deserve or if your Husband or wife, lesbian or gay lover seems to lose interest in you then I can honestly say that you need help to make things right in your relationship. I am making this testimony because I made a vow to myself that I will testify to the world after lord Bubuza fixed my abusive relationship with his spell. I had kids for my boyfriend, I love him but our relationship was a very abusive one but after I contacted lord Bubuza via WhatsApp: +1 505 569 0396, I can honestly and boldly tell the world that Lord Bubuza is a God on Earth that solve problems with his spell. We don't fight anymore ; we are living happily now and I'm proud of my boyfriend now. lord Bubuza can help you too contact him via WhatsApp: +1 505 569 0396 or via e-mail: lordbubuzamiraclework@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot thank Mr Pedro loan service enough and letting people know how grateful I am for all the assistance that you and your team staff have provided and I look forward to recommending friends and family should they need financial advice or assistance @ 2% Rate for Business Loan .Via Contact: pedroloanss@gmail.com .

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you need DV attorney Vancouver WA for assault, disorderly conduct, harassment, and other actions committed by household members, contact Mr. Neil Cane!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A PRAYER FOR VICTIMS, SURVIVORS, AND ANYONE THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTED BY DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Domestic Violence and Alcohol (Guest Post)

When People Don't Believe You